- This event has passed.
Foundations of Parenting Coordination – Dr. Fidler & Dr. Polak
March 28 - March 30
FOUNDATIONS OF PARENTING COORDINATION: RESEARCH & PRACTICE
Toronto Location – March 28, 29 & 30, 2019 Barbara Jo Fidler, Ph.D. & Shely Polak, Ph.D.
This introductory course is geared to mental health professionals, mediators and lawyers interested in the practice of Parenting Coordination. No previous experience or knowledge of Parenting Coordination is required. Topics include:
- roles & function of the PC
- professional guidelines & training requirements
- basics of critically appraising research
- review of social science literature & research on topics relevant to working with high conflict separated/divorced parents (e.g. consequences of parental & coparenting conflict on children & adolescents, & its impact on parenting & quality of parent- child relationships, models of coparenting, risk/resiliency factors, parenting styles & effectiveness, parent-child contact problems)
- nuts & bolts of the process: referral management; screening & intake; informed consent & contracting, review of PC Agreement; parent education/coaching; consensus building phase (conflict-resolution, negotiation); management & skills for working with high conflict coparenting; case management; involvement of collateral sources; and, arbitration phase (relevant arbitration legislation & regulations, procedures & writing of awards)
- risk & benefits of including children in dispute resolution processes
- developmentally informed protocols for interviewing children in PC, mediation & custody/access assessments, VOC reports
- ethical issues, tricky issues & lessons learned(ing)
Course Materials include: Parenting Coordination Agreement, reading list, power point handout, forms & checklists relevant to all stages of the process, seminal articles, & more