To become a member of the Family Mediation Section, a family mediator must satisfy the following requirements:
- Mediators must be members in good standing of the Family Dispute Resolution Institute of Ontario, “FDRIO”;
- Mediators must have completed a minimum 40-hour training course in family mediation and a minimum 14-hour training in screening for domestic violence and power imbalances; students in training to become mediators are eligible for membership;
- Mediators must comply with the continuing education requirements of their professional discipline and those prescribed by the Family Mediation Section;
- Mediators must commit to observe the Standards of Practice of FDRIO and the Family Mediation Section; and
- Mediators must have professional liability insurance for their mediation services, with a minimum of $1,000,000 coverage per occurrence and $2,000,000 coverage in the aggregate; this requirement applies to practitioners and interns but not to students.